[texhax] Blogs

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 17:07:02 CEST 2006

On 7/18/06, Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk> wrote:

> Victor Ivrii wrote:
>
>  > This cited email demonstrates at least one advantage of blogging: if
>  > Mr.Taylor had a blog, he could put his flame there instead of
>  > submitting it to the mailing list :-)
>
> But I haven't, and I wouldn't :-)

Never say "never" :-)
Actually I was really surprised to learn that blogs are pretty much
used by some of social scientists

>  >
>  > While I agree that many of blogs (and their cousins bulletin boards)
>  > became places of incredibly stupid and nasty flame wars, at least some
>  > of them are really helpful. Personally I would prefer the current
>  > mailing list to be replaced by a bulletin board (which could be much
>  > better structured).
>
> I confess I do participate in bulletin boards from
> time to time, but the probability of my responding
> to a request for help on a TeX-related issue is
> many many times greater if I receive it on e-mail
> than if I were to have to read a bulletin board
> in order to learn of the request's existence ...

Well, in the sense of getting response fast mailing list beats BB for
sure. On the other hand, if a problem appears and I remember that
there was a discussion of this problem in the list I look in my
massive gmail subscription and go to archives. However one can notice
that there is a bunch of questions which are repeatedly discussed all
over again. In mailing list there is no way to join all these
discussions but in BB it would be rather easy.