[texhax] Blogs

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 15:59:48 CEST 2006

On 7/18/06, Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk> wrote:
> I am really forced to ask "why on earth would anyone want to ?"
>
> Not only do "blogs" have the silliest name imaginable
> (is "Web log" /really/ too long to use ?), but they are surely
> the most pointless form of self-aggrandisement ever invented,
> serving only to enhance (in his/her own mind) the image
> of the so-called "blogger" whilst leaving the rest of
> the world not one iota better off.  Please, Dr Flom, leave
> "blogging" to the great unwashed, and write /real/ books
> or /real/ articles that actually serve to enhance the
> world in which we live ...

This cited email demonstrates at least one advantage of blogging: if
Mr.Taylor had a blog, he could put his flame there instead of
submitting it to the mailing list :-)

While I agree that many of blogs (and their cousins bulletin boards)
became places of incredibly stupid and nasty flame wars, at least some
of them are really helpful. Personally I would prefer the current
mailing list to be replaced by a bulletin board (which could be much
better structured).