[texhax] align with parbox or table with math or ????

Peter Flom flom at ndri.org
Fri Jan 20 15:14:08 CET 2006

Hello

I'd like to typeset a 3 line formula.  The first two lines are normal
math, and the align environment works fine.
But I'd like the third line to be text, lined up with the columns.
Using just \text makes the last row too long to
fit on a line.  I tried using \parbox, but then the horizontal spacing
is odd, with large spaces between words (see below).

I could try putting the whole thing into a tabular environment, but
that doesn't seem right.....

Any ideas?

By the way, one reason I don't want to use the usual trick of having
the equation and then a 'where' statement is that the whole thing is
going on a slide in beamer, and I'd like the explanations matched up

Here's what I tried (I tried variations, too)

<<<
\begin{align}
\mathbf{y} &= \mathbf{X}\boldsymbol{\beta} & &+
\mathbf{Z}\boldsymbol{\nu} &  &+ \boldsymbol{\epsilon}\\
 Y_{ij}     &= \beta_0          &+ \beta_1T_{ij}  &+ 1\nu_{0i} &+
\nu_{1i}t_{ij} &+ \epsilon_{ij}\\
\text{HD}   &= \text{Intercept} &+ \parbox{.5 in}{time effect} &
\parbox{.5in}{i's effect on int}  &+ \parbox{0.7in}{ i's effect on time}
&+ \text{Resid}
\end{align}

Thanks as always

Peter

Peter L. Flom, PhD
Assistant Director, Statistics and Data Analysis Core
Center for Drug Use and HIV Research
National Development and Research Institutes
71 W. 23rd St
http://cduhr.ndri.org
www.peterflom.com
New York, NY 10010