[texhax] Need obscure combination.

E. Krishnan ekmath at asianetindia.com
Mon Jan 2 14:36:19 CET 2006

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 bil at beeb.net wrote:

> I need to create a 'combination' symbol in math mode, basically a right
> arrow with a \cong symbol over it. The arrow should be on the 'normal'
> level.

There are several possible solutions, some differing in output and
some differing only in syntax:

1. If you use the "amsmath" package either you can use

   (a)    $x\overset{\cong}{\rightarow}y$

   or, if you want a slightly longer arrow,

   (b)    $x\xrightarrow{\cong}y$

2. In plain TeX, you can use

      $x\buildrel\cong\over\rightarrow y$

> Ideally, the \cong symbol should be somewhat smaller than the arrow

I think 1(b) above meets this need. If you want a still longer arrow
you can try "\longrightarrow" instead of "\rightarrow" in 1(a) or 2

--
Krishnan