[texhax] latex default output font

Steve Schwartz s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Feb 21 18:02:36 CET 2006

I have followed this exchange with some interest (and looked at a
similar set of postings from last December). I tried the sansmath
package but it still leaves (at least for my setup) math looking quite
serif. I've stumbled across the sfmath package at
http://dtrx.de/od/tex/sfmath.html which seems to do a good job (I'm not
a typesetter, nor a (La)TeX font guru, and haven't looked at all parts).

For those who want a quick test, try one of the following preambles:

\usepackage{txfonts}
\usepackage{sfmath}
\renewcommand\familydefault{\sfdefault}

This generates slightly heavy type, but balanced between text and math.
If you prefer mathptmx to cm for serif results, this is probably the
nearest sans-serif equivalent I've found.

\usepackage{sfmath}
\renewcommand\familydefault{\sfdefault}

This generates lighter, finer type, but again looks pretty balanced
between text and math.

\usepackage[tx]{sfmath}
\usepackage{helvet}
\renewcommand\familydefault{\sfdefault}

According to the sfmath web-site, this appears to be the most faithful
to standard latex in terms of capabilities in normal and bold math. For
my taste, the Greek letters are a bit too fine by comparison with the
helvetica text.

Perhaps someone could put sfmath up on ctan?

HTH

Steve
Professor Steven J Schwartz      Phone: +44-(0)20-7594-7660
Space and Atmospheric Physics    Fax:   +44-(0)20-7594-7772
The Blackett Laboratory          E-mail: s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Imperial College London          Office: Huxley 6M70
London SW7 2BW, U.K.             Web: http://www.sp.ph.ic.ac.uk/~sjs