[texhax] Wrap two-column text around centered float?

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Tue Feb 7 15:40:04 CET 2006

> The wrapfigure environment from wrapfig.sty comes the closest; it works in
> twocolumn mode and allows an overhang for the picture to go into the margin.
> But you can't do both at the same time.  The left column will wrap around
> the figure, but the right one will overwrite it.

wrapfigure can do it, but you have to create the 'empty' hole/gap by hand.
See the example below. It's pain in the behind, but doable.

\documentclass[a4paper]{article}
\usepackage{multicol,wrapfig}
\usepackage[english]{babel}
\begin{document}
\begin{multicols}{2}
We thrive in information||thick worlds because of our
marvelous and everyday capacity to select, edit,
single out, structure, highlight, group, pair, merge,
harmonize, synthesize, focus, organize, condense,
reduce, boil down, choose, categorize, catalog, classify,
list, abstract, scan, look into, idealize, isolate,
discriminate, distinguish, screen, pigeonhole, pick over,
\begin{wrapfigure}{r}[2.5cm]{5cm}
   \rule{5cm}{5cm}
\end{wrapfigure}
sort, integrate, blend, inspect, filter, lump, skip,
smooth, chunk, average, approximate, cluster, aggregate,
outline, summarize, itemize, review, dip into,
flip through, browse, glance into, leaf through, skim,
refine, enumerate, glean, synopsize, winnow the wheat
from the chaff and separate the sheep from the goats.

We thrive in information||thick worlds because of our
marvelous and everyday capacity to select, edit,
single out, structure, highlight, group, pair, merge,
harmonize, synthesize, focus, organize, condense,
reduce, boil down, choose, categorize, catalog, classify,
list, abstract, scan, look into, idealize, isolate,
discriminate, distinguish, screen, pigeonhole, pick over,
sort, integrate, blend, inspect, filter, lump, skip,
smooth, chunk, average, approximate, cluster, aggregate,
outline, summarize, itemize, review, dip into,
flip through, browse, glance into, leaf through, skim,
refine, enumerate,
  glean, synopsize,
winnow the wheat
from the chaff and separate the sheep from the goats.
We thrive in information||thick
\begin{wrapfigure}{l}[2.5cm]{5cm}
   \phantom{\rule{5cm}{5cm}}
\end{wrapfigure}
worlds because of our
marvelous and everyday capacity to select, edit,
single out, structure, highlight, group, pair, merge,
harmonize, synthesize, focus, organize, condense,
reduce, boil down, choose, categorize, catalog, classify,
list, abstract, scan, look into, idealize, isolate,
discriminate, distinguish, screen, pigeonhole, pick over,
sort, integrate, blend, inspect, filter, lump, skip,
smooth, chunk, average, approximate, cluster, aggregate,
outline, summarize, itemize, review, dip into,
flip through, browse, glance into, leaf through, skim,
refine, enumerate, glean, synopsize, winnow the wheat
from the chaff and separate the sheep from the goats.
\end{multicols}
\end{document}

/daleif

``You cannot help men permanently by doing for them
what they could and should do for themselves. ''
  -- Abraham Lincoln