[texhax] section counter

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 23:08:15 CET 2006

On 2/6/06, Patric Glöde <Patric.Gloede at t-online.de> wrote:
>  Thank you very much for your help ... is works quite well ... just that I
> did mean 'appendix' literal, but I actually want an appendix-like section
> which is called "Grundlagen" in german (="basics"). So I would like the
> sections to be labeled G,G.1,G.2 etc. rather than A,A.1,A.2 etc. So my
> question now is how can I force LaTeX to label the "appendix sections" by a
> 'G'.

\appendix
\setcounter{section}{6}     % Is G the seventh letter in the alphabet?
\section{Basics}              % Results in  G. Basics

\setcounter{section}{25}
\section{Blah}                  % Results in Z.Blah

Another advice given to you was more universal

  \renewcommand{\thechapter}{\Roman{chapter}}

but it should be adjusted:

\renewcommand{\thesection}{\Alph{section}}

(since in your documentclass section is the highest partition)
followed by the same

\setcounter{section}{6}
\section{}

where you can use also \alph \roman \Roman