[texhax] Footnotes: Numbering

Philip & Le Khanh Philip-and-LeKhanh at Royal-Tunbridge-Wells.Org
Sun Dec 24 23:10:02 CET 2006

Uwe Lück wrote:

> [... continuing on danger ...]

> ... one problem with the do-it-yourself [is this English, or is it
> a German word like "handy"?]

Ja, das ist sehr gut Englisch :-)

> approach is that correct estimation
> of "speed" may depend on real special knowledge.
> I experienced this this year with own macros for sectioning.
> It probably took me many days to discover that marks,
> TOC entries, penalties and vertical spaces must obey a certain
> order. The TeXbook passages on vertical lists must be read
> very diligently for this. It may need many days of suffering
> weird failures to achieve the appropriate degree of diligence.

But as you yourself appreciate, perhaps more than most,
the benefits that you reaped from this research will
stand you in good stead for the remainder of your
TeXxing life, whilst those who eschew proper research
and do-it-yourself are forever doomed to be dependent
on the work of others ...

** Phil.