[texhax] Book document class

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Thu Dec 14 13:27:36 CET 2006

On Dec 13, 2006, at 3:07 PM, Donald F Nelson wrote:

> I am writing a book using LaTeX using document class
> "book." I wish to make the title page in a consistent font with the
> default font used in Chapter headings, which I find acceptable. How
> do I go about this?

Investigate how \chapter is defined, then ``\renecommand'' \maketitle.

You can either dig directly into the source (source2e.pdf the typeset
version of source2e) or check things manually, e.g.:

\documentclass{book}
\begin{document}
\show\chapter
\end{document}

which leads one to:

\documentclass{book}
\begin{document}
\makeatletter
\show\@chapter
\makeatother
\end{document}

which leads one to:

\documentclass{book}
\begin{document}
\makeatletter
\show\@makechapterhead
\makeatother
\end{document}

which suggests that the command to use in redefining \maketitle would
be \Huge\bfseries if I'm reading things right.

There is a titling package on CTAN which will help in this, or you
can dig through the archives here where there's been discussion on it
in the past, or you could use the memoir package which has excellent
documentation on this sort of thing, as well as shorter typeset
source than all of LaTeX.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.