[texhax] inserting a page of different dimensions

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Wed Dec 13 16:09:41 CET 2006

On Dec 13, 2006, at 5:36 AM, martin f krafft wrote:

> is it possible to tell LaTeX (tetex here) to create a page of
> different dimensions than the rest of the document? I want something
> like:
>
>   \documentclass[a4paper]{article}
>   [...]
>   \begin{document}
>   page 1, which is A4 \newpage
>   \begin{a5page}
>     page 2, which will be A5 in the DVI/PS file.
>   \end{a5page}
>   page 3, now A4 again
>   \end{document}
>
> Thanks for any input.

This can be done XeTeX --- just insert a \special as the first
element of a page w/ the new page size. e.g., the following works in
XeLaTeX:

\documentclass{minimal}
\begin{document}
page 1 is letter or A4.
\clearpage
\special{papersize=5.5in,8.5in}
Page 2 is half-letter
\clearpage
\special{papersize=8.5in,11in}
Page 3 is letter-sized.
\end{document}

That won't work w/ pdflatex, though. If you have to use that, I
believe the best work-around would either be to trim the page (if
smaller) manually afterwards, or to re-process several sets of
pdflatex runs (one for each page size) merging pages using the LaTeX
package pdfpages.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.