[texhax] Q: correct folder for *.bib

Philip G. Ratcliffe philip.ratcliffe at uninsubria.it
Wed Dec 6 16:21:53 CET 2006

> Q-1: I am wondering where is the correct folder to place
> these various SUGI??.bib files
> so that pdfLaTeX and bibTeX can find them?
> note: I have different folders for each of my papers.
>
> I have a sugconf.cls which I have in folder
> c:\TexLive\texmf\local\sugconf
>
> note: I'm not sure about that folder name as
> I'm at work without access to my home setup.

You should setup a parallel file tree, say \localtexmf, with *exactly* the
same structure as \texmf.  If you look inside \texmf, you should find that
bib files are kept in \texmf\bibtex\bib; so you should make a
\localtexmf\bibtex\bib.  Not following the TeX Directory System (TDS) may
mean that TeX and Co. will not find files automatically even if you texhash
till kingdom come.

P.S.  Setting up a localtexmf tree is easy with MiKTeX (M$ Windogs) but I
can't now quite remember the procedure under Linux, usually with teTeX.

> Q-2: If I put the *.bib files in the folder with sugconf.cls
> do I need to run texhash.exe again?

Whenever you add new files or move old ones you need to run texhash but, as
I said above, you risk BibTeX not finding them if you put them there.

Cheers,  Phil Ratcliffe