[texhax] Latex: dumbing down? (fwd)

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Mon Aug 28 00:10:56 CEST 2006

Victor Ivrii wrote:

[snip]

> Still, I am afraid that the fate of Plain TeX is sealed (no
> indexing/automatic numbering capacities)

A strange misconception : Plain TeX can very easily
perform those tasks -- the only obstacle (a very small
one, IMHO) is that it does not do them "out of the box".
That is, it requires a small amount of work on the part
of the user to implement the functionality that he/she
desires.  Indeed, if I may deliberately mis-quote Reinhard
Kotucha :

	"No, there is absolutely nothing you can do in
	 LaTeX that you can't do in Plain TeX."

:-)

Philip Taylor