[texhax] Turning off bad box messages

Tom Schneider toms at ncifcrf.gov
Tue Aug 22 07:15:37 CEST 2006

>    I'm writing a package which has to put a lot of stuff in specific
> places on a page, and TeX is proving to be near impossible to work
> with.  The latest hassle is the tons of overfill hbox warnings that
> get spit out to the console when it runs.  I can't figure out where
> the errors are coming from, because TeX won't tell me the line in the
> package file, just the line in the source that calls the package file,
> so I have little idea where they are or how to fix them.  And there's
> no errors, visually, in the output file.
>    How can I turn off the warnings?  I tried changing \hfuzz
> \tolerance and \hbadness as suggested in "A Gentle Introduction to
> TeX" but that doesn't suppress all of them, and changes the behavior
> of TeX to boot.  How can I fix this?

One way is to use pstricks.  With the appropriate commands you can set
up a nice coordinate system and then place whatever you want whereever
you want.  It works perfectly with powerdot ...

for links see:

http://www.ccrnp.ncifcrf.gov/~toms/latex.html#latex.tex.resources

http://tug.org/PSTricks/

Tom

  Dr. Thomas D. Schneider
  National Institutes of Health
  National Cancer Institute
  Center for Cancer Research Nanobiology Program
  Molecular Information Theory Group
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  toms at ncifcrf.gov
  permanent email: toms at alum.mit.edu (use only if first address fails)