[texhax] changing \thepage?

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Tue Aug 1 15:59:12 CEST 2006

On Aug 1, 2006, at 8:57 AM, Adam Spargo wrote:

> I'm creating some slides and some of which are easiest done by
> duplicating
> the slide and adding new things each time. The trouble is that I
> wrote a
> \newpagestyle with a header that uses \thepage to put the page
> number in
> the corner. So my problem is that using whole new slides to add things
> incremements the page when I want it to remain constant for a
> subset of
> the slides.
>
> Does anybody know how to edit \thepage or another way to put the page
> number on my slides as I'd like.

My suggestion here would be to create a new counter {slide}, use it
in lieu of the page number in the pagestyle, and then manually
increment it as desired.

Have you considered using one of the nifty presentation document
classes? Lots of people like beamer, prosper &c. The FAQ page for
this is:

http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=slidecls

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.