[texhax] Finding packages [was `Count down ...']

Uwe Lück uwe.lueck at web.de
Sun Apr 30 21:36:56 CEST 2006

At 14:31 30.04.06, mas at mylug.org wrote:
> > At 04:21 30.04.06, Sridhar M.A. wrote:
> >
> >>I want to prepare an enumerated list of items which have to be numbered
> >>in the descending order.
> >
> > CTAN/macros/latex/contrib/etaremune/ -- Regards, Uwe Lueck.
> >
>Thanks. That was what I was looking for.
>
>I was just playing around with texdoc(tk). It too did not reveal this
>package. I also noticed that sectsty does not come up in this wonderful
>doc package. Any reasons?

Is this the MiKTeX package? I know almost nothing about it;
and I don't know what you have entered in searching.

In general,

     http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=findfiles

lists some hints on finding certain packages. Especially,
the US and UK CTANs offer a search among package
descriptions, and one may google on CTAN.
(I cc a mail telling that the page is no longer entirely correct.)

I think the topical index of the TeX Catalogue

     http://www.dante.de/CTAN/help/Catalogue/bytopic.html

is even more helpful. You could have found etaremune there
under Formatting -> Enumerating ... Be careful -- its name
is not coloured as the other package names are. I'm
telling this to Juergen Fenn who maintains the topic index.
-- An alternative package revnum is mentioned there as well.

And you could have found sectsty under Document structure ->
... section titles.

Some FAQ pages work similarly as the topic index, but
the latter usually lists more packages.

Thanks for mentioning sectsty indeed! I have often thought
that I should use something like this. There are other
possibilities, e.g., the memoir class, or nccsect belonging
to ncctools (seems to be even more powerful than sectsty).

Regards,
   Uwe Lueck