[texhax] Typing the therefore symbol.

Barbara Beeton bnb at ams.org
Sat Apr 29 14:29:53 CEST 2006

regarding the \therefore symbol,

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006, Peter King wrote:

    On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 12:46:36PM -0400, William Adams wrote:

    > > I am responding to your thread on typing the there for symbol. The
    > > only way I know how to do this is by creating it in Microsoft Pain
    >
    > I would suggest downloading the comprehensive LaTeX symbol reference
    > where you can find things like  \therefore from the AMS symbol
    > package....

    It's much easier just to roll your own.

    \def\therefore{%
       \leavevmode
       \lower0.2ex\hbox{$\circ$}%
       \kern-0.2em\raise0.7ex\hbox{$\circ$}%
       \kern-0.2em\lower0.2ex\hbox{$\circ$}%
       \thinspace}

i wasn't aware that this symbol was composed of three
circles.  the version i've always seen is three dots.

that being said, the amsfonts can be used in either
latex or plain tex -- or any other tex-based variation.
the instructions for use in plain tex and latex are given
in the instruction manual that is part of the package.
see the web page

  http://www.ams.org/tex/amsfonts.html

							-- bb