[texhax] problem with array package

tom sgouros tomfool at as220.org
Wed Apr 26 02:39:24 CEST 2006

Hello all:

More exploration has shown me that, using the array.sty package, this
will only work if I use \cr instead of \\.

> \newcolumntype{X}{>{\raggedright}p{1.2in}}
> \newcolumntype{P}{>{\raggedright}p{3in}}
>
> \begin{tabular}[t]{|XP|} ...

On the other hand, if I add a column that is one of the built-in types
(c,l,r,p) (for example \begin{tabular}{|XPc|}) I can use \\.  But if I
change that new column to X again (\begin{tabular}{|XPX|}, it has to be
\cr and \\ doesn't work.

I'm using array.sty version 2.4a, which appears to be the newest version
available on CTAN.  There is a section of text in the .dtx file that
appears to be about \\, but I can't really understand what it's trying
to tell me.

 -tom