[texhax] \listoffigures, order of reference numbers

Philip G. Ratcliffe philip.ratcliffe at fastwebnet.it
Tue Apr 25 21:50:41 CEST 2006

> [snip]
> The extended citation command could be useful and would be confirm with
> all other commands like \section, \chapter etc. which allow a similar
> behavior.

It shouldn't be too difficult to implement.  Actually, it doesn't require
the two-argument approach (indeed, I'm not sure that that really is a
solution), rather a version that simply doesn't write to the aux file when
called from inside the a toc, lot, or lof file (which is just the effect of
the quick-and-dirty solution I suggested earlier), or that even never writes
out.

> However, I'm just more then puzzled that the described effect
> is only related if you include a bib-file. For individual \bibitem the
> reference numbers start correct. (As long as you agree with my
> understanding of correctness ;) ). If so, it really might be considered
> as a bug.

No, it's not a bug.  If you don't use BibTeX the you fix the citation order
by hand when you insert them in the "thebibliography" environment.  If you
use BibTeX then it is BibTeX that sets the order according to the bst used,
which may mean order of citation.

> It would be interesting to see if references in chapters and
> sections (also it is very untypical) as well as in the "list of tables"
> behave in a similar manner.

Yes they will.

> [snip]
> That is what we using now. However, we will try the suggestion of Phillip.

If it appears useful, it could be quickly made into a package - although I
confess to not having properly compared this approach with the available
package that I also mentioned.

Cheers,  Phil Ratcliffe