[texhax] Translating into math-like symbols

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Mon Apr 24 14:11:29 CEST 2006

On Apr 23, 2006, at 6:03 PM, WILLIAM D MARKEL wrote:

> OK, I joined TUG and got the disks.  Everything is installed.  What
> I want to be able to do is translate stuff like what follows into
> something resembling math.  So far, I haven't a clue about how to
> do this.
>
> % This file was created by EXP Version 5.1.

The pointers to the beginner's pointers on www.tug.org are a good
start. Short version is put this in your favourite .tex enabled
editor and press the ``LaTeX'' button.

One thing which may not be covered there is that you'll need to
import the support for this old Brooks-Cole editing system:

> \usepackage{exptex}
> \usepackage{expthmi}

So you'll need to track down the files

exptex.sty
expthmi.sty

with the appropriate extension  (I don't think they were ever done
in .dtx (documented tex) format).

Here's one copy:

http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/journals/JIS/VOL6/Kimberling/exptex.sty
http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/journals/JIS/VOL6/Kimberling/expthmi.sty

A useful technique I've found is to copy the generic part of an error
message out of the log and paste it into a search on a decent search
engine (those which cover usenet:comp.text.tex like groups.google.com
are especially helpful).

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.