[texhax] listings package missing on OS X

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Sat Apr 1 23:38:22 CEST 2006

On Apr 1, 2006, at 12:57 , Peter Michaux wrote:

> I've searched around google and found that the listings package is
> missing on OS X.

The package is present on my systems, both 10.3.9 and 10.4.5.

> I haven't found a nice solution to this. People start
> talking about fink and I have never had any success with fink.

Fink is not what you want.

> Can't I
> just add to the latex distribution included with OS X?

I don't think there is a latex distribution included with Mac OS X.
If it is on your system, you must have added it.  In any case, yes,
you can just add this to the TeX tree on your system.  On my systems,
this is in the directory /usr/local/teTeX.  Here is what I find on my
system (using 'locate'):

/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/generic/tex4ht/listings.4ht
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc/help/Catalogue/entries/
listings.html
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc/latex/listings
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc/latex/listings/listings.dvi
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc/latex/listings/README
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/listings
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/listings/listings.cfg
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/listings/listings.sty
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/listings/lstdoc.sty
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/listings/lstlang1.sty
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/listings/lstlang2.sty
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/listings/lstlang3.sty
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/listings/lstmisc.sty
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/listings/lstpatch.sty

After installing, use the command 'texhash' (run it as root, e.g.,
with 'sudo').

Regards,

Justin

--