[texhax] listings package missing on OS X

tom sgouros tomfool at as220.org
Sat Apr 1 23:15:55 CEST 2006

Peter Michaux <petermichaux at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've searched around google and found that the listings package is
> missing on OS X. I haven't found a nice solution to this. People start
> talking about fink and I have never had any success with fink. Can't I
> just add to the latex distribution included with OS X?

Yes, you can.  It's a long story, but not very hard.  This is a good
place to start: http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=privinst

(Actually, start by downloading listings.sty from the CTAN archive at
tug.org, and then read that page of the FAQ.)

Fink, incidentally, does have a version of teTeX, and it includes
listings.sty.  However, you can't use fink to install this style or that
one, you get the whole ball of wax or none at all.  This is why it's
better to use the private installation of optional packages, even if
it's your own machine.

Also, you can use this command to check to see whether you have a style
in a place where TeX (or LaTeX) can find it:

  kpsewhich -n tex listings.sty

Cheers,

 -tom