[texhax] How can I get Computer Modern font greater than 40

Matej Košík kosik at fiit.stuba.sk
Sat Sep 3 18:59:41 CEST 2005

Hello,

I have recently played with fonts. For certain occasion (kind of poster)
I wanted to use bigger fonts than the usual ones. I have learned that,
for example Adobe Times fonts of various sizes can be typeset as follows
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{ucs}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\begin{document}
\fontsize{10}{0}\usefont{T1}{ptm}{m}{n}
ptm 10

\fontsize{20}{0}\usefont{T1}{ptm}{m}{n}
ptm 20

\fontsize{30}{0}\usefont{T1}{ptm}{m}{n}
ptm 30

\fontsize{40}{0}\usefont{T1}{ptm}{m}{n}
ptm 40

\fontsize{50}{0}\usefont{T1}{ptm}{m}{n}
ptm 50

\fontsize{60}{0}\usefont{T1}{ptm}{m}{n}
ptm 60

\fontsize{70}{0}\usefont{T1}{ptm}{m}{n}
ptm 70

\fontsize{80}{0}\usefont{T1}{ptm}{m}{n}
ptm 80

\fontsize{90}{0}\usefont{T1}{ptm}{m}{n}
ptm 90

\fontsize{100}{0}\usefont{T1}{ptm}{m}{n}
ptm 100
\end{document}
I am having difficulties with obtaining analogous result with the
computer modern fonts. When I substitute `cm' instead of `ptm',
everything works up to the 40 point height. From this size up, all the
characters are not getting bigger.

I am no seasoned LaTeX style designer but I am quite interested in this
area. Could anyone help me? I like the classical Computer Modern
typeface so if possible, I would like to continue to use it.

Thanks
--
Matej Košík