[texhax] Y&Y Lucida fonts

Karl Berry karl at tug.org
Mon Oct 17 01:48:35 CEST 2005

Hi David,

    Some years ago I purchased the YandY Tex system, with the Lucida fonts.
      I am now wanting to publish a book formatted in those fonts, and I
    wonder whether I can use them freely, or whether some sort of royalties
    would be due to someone.  I understand that YandY has gone out of
    business.  How can I resolve this question?

Thank you for asking.

Legally, you can use the fonts under the terms of the license from Y&Y.
The fact that Y&Y has gone out of business does not terminate the
license.  The license specifically has a non-termination clause, I
believe.

As far as I know, the license does permit use of the fonts to print a
physical book without further royalty payments.  I would be shocked if
this was not the case.  This is not to say they can be used "freely" -
the restrictions and conditions in the license still apply.

If you are still concerned, please let me know and we can discuss.  (I
have been working with Bigelow&Holmes to make the fonts available
through TUG, so have been spending a lot of time looking at the
licensing, etc.)

Best,
Karl