Fwd: Re: [texhax] No \ss in fraktur

Uwe Lück uwe.lueck at web.de
Thu Nov 10 21:17:42 CET 2005

Ha ha ...

>Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 22:13:19 +0100
>To: texhax at tug.org
>From: Uwe Lück <uwe.lueck at web.de>
>
>At 19:01 30.10.05, Michael Barr wrote:
>>I wanted to put a caption in fraktur.
>>Following the instructions in The LaTeX Companion, I loaded the package
>>oldgerm and then used \textfrak{Gau\ss ian primes}.  I got the following
>>warning:
[snip]
>>LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/yfrak/m/n' undefined
>
>Besides explaining why it doesn't work, one might also try
>to get it work. With nfssfont.tex, you can find out the code
>of what should be \ss. Using \symbol, you then can produce
>it. If the situation occurs more frequently, one might define
>some \frss or even a text font command that locally defines
>\ss to expand to \symbol{...} ...

... I ran into the same problem today. This was with MiKTeX
(like Michael Barr), and its emergency stop didn't allow me
to use the interactive nfssfont.tex. I looked for a character
table in some oldgerm documentation, didn't find it in some
latex/contrib/oldgerm/, looked at y...

At 23:19 30.10.05, Albert Kapune wrote:

>I am writing fraktur using the yfonts package. It generates the »ß« via
>{\ss} without problems.

indeed; it seems that yfonts is a safer re-implementation
of oldgerm.

My earlier posting was due to the fact that I was not
aware that yfonts just supports the same fonts as
oldgerm. I was afraid that by switching to yfonts one
would loose something.

Good luck,
   Uwe.