[texhax] No \ss in fraktur

Uwe Lück uwe.lueck at web.de
Wed Nov 2 22:13:19 CET 2005

At 19:01 30.10.05, Michael Barr wrote:
>I wanted to put a caption in fraktur.
>Following the instructions in The LaTeX Companion, I loaded the package
>oldgerm and then used \textfrak{Gau\ss ian primes}.  I got the following
>warning:
[snip]
>LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/yfrak/m/n' undefined
>(Font)              using `OT1/cmr/m/n' instead
>(Font)              for symbol `ss' on input line 800.
>Sure enough, it was all in fraktur save the \ss, which was in cmr.  Is it
>possible that the fraktur fonts don't include the \ss?  I got similar
>results with \textgoth and \textschwab.

Besides explaining why it doesn't work, one might also try
to get it work. With nfssfont.tex, you can find out the code
of what should be \ss. Using \symbol, you then can produce
it. If the situation occurs more frequently, one might define
some \frss or even a text font command that locally defines
\ss to expand to \symbol{...} ...

HTH, Uwe Lueck.