[texhax] Re: Unexpected Warnings with Ctable Package

Martin Heller mr_heller at yahoo.dk
Wed Nov 2 13:42:38 CET 2005

Chris Yocum wrote:

> Package array Warning: Column X is already defined on input line 226.
> Package array Warning: Column X is already defined on input line 226.
> Package tabularx Warning: X Columns too narrow (table too wide)
> (tabularx) on input line 226.
>
> I looked in tabularx's documentation and I saw that: "the widths of
> the `normal' columns of the table already total more than the
> requested total width."  I did not set a width initally and I thought
> that ctable would only use tabularx if I specified a width.  Later, I
> set a width to 100 mm and that got rid of the last warning and that
> looks OK but I do not want to be forced to set a width for each and
> every table (there are lots of grammar tables).  Is there a way to
> avoid having to explicitly set a width?

I don't have any experience with ctable, but the warning seems to
go away if a maxwidth is specified. Otherwise take a look at the
threeparttable package which imo implements table notes in a
nicer way.

\documentclass[a4paper]{book}
\usepackage[T1]{tipa}
\usepackage{float}
\usepackage{ctable}

\begin{document}
\ctable[%
     maxwidth=\textwidth,
     caption={Classical Gaelic o-stem(fear)},
     pos=H]{lcc}{%
         \tnote[a]{Prose fear w/o nasalization}
         \tnote[b]{Prose does not bother with the acc. pl.}
}{%
         & Sing & Pl \NN
     nom & fear & fir\textsuperscript{L} \NN
     voc & a fhir\textsuperscript{L} & a fheara \NN
     acc & (fear\textsuperscript{N})\tmark[a] & feara\tmark[b] \NN
     gen & fir\textsuperscript{L} & fear\textsuperscript{N} \NN
     dat & (fear) & fe\-araibh/(fir\textsuperscript{L}) \LL
}
\end{document}

> Also, is there something
> that I can do about the first two warnings?

No.