[texhax] 3x3 array of alighned equations

Novak Elliott N.S.J.Elliott at warwick.ac.uk
Wed Nov 2 12:43:28 CET 2005

Hi,

I'd like to format a 3x3 array of subequations in the form:

a11 = b,         a12 = c,    a13 = d             (1a,b,c)
                                                  -

a21 = f,    3 x a22 = ...                             (1d,e,f)
          -

a22 = ..                                                     (1g,h,i)

i.e. I want them aligned horizontally between the three columns and also I want them aligned to the = sign within each column.  So I effectively have 9 columns, or 3 columns each with 3 subcolumns.  The eqnarry environment only allows the alignment to work with one equation per line, and the array environment typesets fractions in a tiny font so that they fit within one text line.  However, I want them to be at full size like in an ordinary equation.  I have a hack for getting the subequation numbering to work without using the subequations environment so that shouldn't be a drama.  If there is a way to produce an array that allows left/centre/right alignment and also allows fractions to be typeset at full size then that would almost certainly work.

Any tips would be great!
cheers,
Novak