[texhax] lists and included files

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue May 31 10:52:43 CEST 2005

> --===============0222573061==
>

> --Boundary_(ID_Twb9mC8aNDiOzX1xVSX1vA)
>
> All,
>
> I'm trying to write a final exam and I'd like it to be organized by
> chapter, but with questions numbered sequentially.
>
> That is the "main" file, final.ltx, would essentially look like the
> following:
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \begin{document}
>
>   \begin{enumerate}
>     \include{ch01/ch01.ltx}
>     \include{ch02/ch02.ltx}
>     \include{ch12/ch12.ltx}
>   \end{enumerate}
> \end{document}
>
> The problem is that the enumerate environment doesn't seem to exist once
> the chapter files are included.  I get the error:
>   Something's wrong --- perhaps a missing \item.
> Each chapter file is full of \items.

i'm not sure i believe the example above; but it's impossible to be
sure without an example.

using interactive tex, i get what's expected with article class and
the following:

*\begin{enumerate}
*\section{one}
*\item foo
*\section{two}
*\item blah
*\end{enumerate}

including things inside the enumerate also works.

but trying something parallel with book class and chapters rather than
sections, i immediately find:

*\begin{enumerate}
*\chapter{one}
Chapter 1.

! LaTeX Error: Something's wrong--perhaps a missing \item.

are you _sure_ your thing fails under article class?

> What am I doing wrong?  It would be unpleasant to have 12 chapters worth
> of questions (with supporting figures, formulas, etc.) all sitting in
> one dirctory.

what you're doing wrong is not to send an example of what you're
actually typing.  maybe i'm missing something that's obvious to you,
but how am i to blame? -- every hypothesis so far has been a guess.

the following faq answer may help you get round the whole sorry mess:

 http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=interruptlist