[texhax] lists and included files

Douglas Lewan d_lewan2000 at yahoo.com
Sat May 28 21:02:41 CEST 2005

All,

I'm trying to write a final exam and I'd like it to be organized by
chapter, but with questions numbered sequentially.

That is the "main" file, final.ltx, would essentially look like the
following:

\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}

  \begin{enumerate}
    \include{ch01/ch01.ltx}
    \include{ch02/ch02.ltx}
    \include{ch12/ch12.ltx}
  \end{enumerate}
\end{document}

The problem is that the enumerate environment doesn't seem to exist once
the chapter files are included.  I get the error:
  Something's wrong --- perhaps a missing \item.
Each chapter file is full of \items.

What am I doing wrong?  It would be unpleasant to have 12 chapters worth
of questions (with supporting figures, formulas, etc.) all sitting in
one dirctory.

Thanks.

--
,Doug