[texhax] Improved TeX error reporting - feature request

P.Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Mon May 9 22:23:00 CEST 2005

Robin Fairbairns wrote:

> any tex-based errors are pretty ghastly.  this is characteristic of
> the age in which it was developed, and of the fiendishly feeble
> machines we had to play with back then.  but they're a lot better than
> the first algol 68 compiler i played with, which had a single syntax
> diagnostic "not a program!".

It said thst, Sir, only if presented with something that was not
a program.  Had you followed the example of a world-famous
computer scientist of that era ("my programs do not have bugs"
was his response when asked to contribute to a debate on program
debugging), you would have avoided this message :-)))

Anyhow, you should have used the CDC Algol-68 compiler;
20 man-years of work, and absolutely brilliant ...

Philip Taylor