[texhax] Re: stacking letters -- %s

Uwe Lück uwe.lueck at web.de
Mon May 2 18:12:00 CEST 2005

>From: Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk>
>
>You (and others) may find it easier to follow
>the logic of your code is you express it in
>a slightly less dense style :
>
>      \def \sk #1#2
>          {\setbox 0 = \hbox {\strut #1}%
>           \vbox \bgroup
>                 \offinterlineskip
>                 \hbox to \wd 0 {\hfil \hbox {\fiverm #2} \hfil}
>                 \kern -1 pt
>                 \box 0
>                 \egroup
>          }
>
>I've also removed all redundant percent signs.

Dear Phil -- if you really try this, you need an aditional trick to
avoid an error message. This is due to the blank space after your
`#2'. Usually one types `#2{%' instead, and instead of typing the
brace in the line below. `#2%' would do as well. -- The other
percent signs that you have removed are not necessary for proper
working, but they avoid space tokens in the definition of \sk that
just consume memory unnecessarily. -- Regards, Uwe.