[texhax] fancyhdr with shortened chaptermarks

Maurits Haverkort Haverkort at ph2.uni-koeln.de
Tue Mar 22 00:05:03 CET 2005

Dear all,

I use fancyhdr and put the chapter title on the top of each left (even) page and the section title on the top of each right (odd) page. This works fine, but for some chapters or sections my title is longer than one line. For these sections or chapters I want to change the header. Whenever a title goes beyond one line it should be truncated with dots.

Like:

56   Magnetic versus crystal field linear dichroism in NiO ...

Is it possible to specify some sort of short-title or alternative title that will be used for the page headings?

Thanks in advance,

Maurits Haverkort