[texhax] \vskip

tom sgouros tomfool at as220.org
Wed Mar 9 20:48:51 CET 2005

 >On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 12:53:24 -0500, William F Adams wrote:

>> Is there a better \vskip that will, regardless of the
>> current position, just take you to the top of the page?

> In theory something like \vskip-\pagetotal will sort of work, but as
> Reinhard noted, skips are always relative so this won't quite work all
> of the time.

I did this once, so I could always start at a fixed point on the page,
by typing \pgpt{89pt} to start 89pt from the top, for example.

\def\pgpt#1{\ifdim\pagetotal=0.0pt\relax\else%
  \newdimen\pgptskip\pgptskip=-\pagetotal\advance\pgptskip by #1%
  \vspace{\pgptskip}\fi}

I'm not sure if that's what the original poster was after, though.

-tom