[texhax] TeX-MathType comparison

Peter Flom flom at ndri.org
Fri Jun 24 14:44:47 CEST 2005

Peter L. Flom, PhD
Assistant Director, Statistics and Data Analysis Core
Center for Drug Use and HIV Research
National Development and Research Institutes
71 W. 23rd St
www.peterflom.com
New York, NY 10010
(212) 845-4485 (voice)
(917) 438-0894 (fax)

>>> "Boris" <klioboris at rambler.ru> 6/23/2005 5:51:55 PM >>> wrote
<<<
Dear sirs,
would you be so kind of answering my question?
 I have to type a large-size text on quantum physics with a lot of
    math formulas. Which is really better ( I mean simplicity and
    facilities) TeX in one of its forms, or MathType for Windows?
Have
    anybody compared them? Practically I'm not aquainted with both of
    them.
With respect
Boris
klioboris at rambler.ru

Finally a TeXhax question I can answer :-)

LaTeX is superior.

In terms of output quality, there is no comparison: LaTeX blows
MathType out of the water.  In terms of control by the user, again,
LaTeX wins hands down.

In terms of ease of use: It depends, to a degree, what you are used to.
 If you are used to neither, I would devote my time to LaTeX.  I would
say LaTeX has a steeper learning curve, but it leads to a much MUCH
higher peak.

I had to write a bunch of complex equations using MathType and Word;
that experience led to my starting to learn LaTeX.  The only reason I
can think of for using MathType is if someone insists on Word.  If you
are writing a physics text, I doubt this is the case.

HTH

Peter