[texhax] Re: writing and printing math problems

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Jun 20 01:34:25 CEST 2005

    Everytime I open a math book, I ask myself, what type of software do
    they use to write these all problems and equations with?

TeX is a typesetting program, one of whose strengths has always been
handling math.  It will likely take a little time to get familiar with
it, but it can certainly do a good job.
    I am looking for Macintosh software to purchase or to download, to
    write my own math problems and equations with? The type you find in
    every math book.

If you have MacOSX, I suggest trying http://www.rna.nl/tex.html.  For
links to additional intro resources, see http://tug.org/begin.html.

Once you have TeX installed and working, there are packages specifically
for handling exercises & answers (possibly even interactively via PDF or
JavaScript, although that can get complex).  Here is one of the simpler

Down the road, if that doesn't suit, for links to some of the others, go
to http://tug.org/ctan.html, put
  exercise  in the second input box, and click "Search Catalogue".
(Sorry, I can't give a direct url right now for some reason.)

Hope this helps,