[texhax] ppchtex: Need basic help.

Volkov Peter volkov_peter at list.ru
Sat Jun 18 19:15:08 CEST 2005

Hello Robin.

I'm sorry for rather long silence. Therefore I saved parts of previous mails.

17 June 2005 00:29 Robin Fairbairns wrote:
> > 16 June 2005 11:43 Volkov Peter wrote:
> > > I have TeTeX-3.0 distribution installed on my system. But I have some
> > > problem with ppchtex. I can not use it.
> > >
> > > In documentation that comes with ppchtex said that in Latex I should
> > > use:
> > > \usepackage{m-pictex}
> > > \usepackage{m-chemie}
> >
> > For this packages I have to download styles from:=20
> > http://www.mit.edu/afs/athena/contrib/tex-contrib/Chem2/ppchtex/
> >
> > And it seems to me that teTeX distribution does not have such styles...
> > Right?
>
> tetex has m-pictex.sty on the latex inputs path, but not m-pictex.tex
> (which the .sty loads, and which hides away among the context macros
> -- texmf-dist/tex/context/base/m-pictex.tex).  this is a bit sad
> because i recommend m-pictex as a solution to the problems of using
> pictex, in the faq.  i must mail thomas...though i'm not sure what the
> solution is :-(

Hm. I'd say this is the bug. I'm very interested in solution... So if Thomas
tells you a solution, can you be so kind to tell me about it?

> however, tetex seems _not_ to have m-chemie in any form.  more
> interesting, context seems not to, either.  (at least, in the
> distribution that we have on ctan.  i had got that far after your
> first post, before i got distracted with "real" work.)
>
> where are you told that ppchtex needs m-chemie?

In my distribution (gentoo) on tetex main documentation page
(/usr/share/doc/tetex-3.0-r2/index.html) there is a link at ppchtex
documentation: /usr/share/doc/tetex-3.0-r2/context/ppchtex/mp-ch-en.pdf.

There on p.48 in chapter installation I found the following text:
*************** BEGIN OF CITATION ************************
The package can be used in combination with PLAIN TEX or LATEX. In that case
the file m-chemie.sty is also used. PPCHTEX is then activated by
\documentstyle:
\documentstyle[m-pictex,m-chemie]{}

In LATEX2ε it is somewhat different:
\usepackage{m-pictex}
\usepackage{m-chemie}

So. As I'm using LaTeX I think I need to add \usepackage commands. Have I
missed anything here?

Peter.