[texhax] Creating a colored design on a title page

Ian Watson i.watson at econ.usyd.edu.au
Thu Jun 9 10:38:56 CEST 2005

Dear texlist,

I'm trying to use the picture environment within LaTeX to create a
colored title page inside the memoir class. I'm sure there other
packages which would do this nicely, but I'd like to get the basics
working first.

What I want is an orange background for the A4 page as a whole, with a
blue banner (about 40cm in height) across the middle, edge to edge.
Both have white writing on them.

What I've achieved is the background and the writing, but not the
banner. A blue textbox with white writing works, but doesn't go from
edge to edge. Indeed the picture env coordinates can't be mapped onto
the A4 page exactly without it disappearing. I'm not sure why this is,
but I'm restricted to someting like 16cm by 20cm, rather than the 20cm
by 29cm of an A4 page.

(Also, is there any way to make the text larger than \Huge short of
importing a graphics object.)

I'm very new to working in this way, mostly having just imported
graphics and dumped them into pages where needed. But I'd like to get
some control over the graphics side using LaTeX code and would
appreciate any advice on this task. I've put the relevant bit of code
below. (I"ve got this far using Kopka and Daly.)

Thanks for any advice.

SNIPPET OF LATEX CODE:

\documentclass[a4paper,oneside,11pt]{memoir}
\usepackage[dvipsnames]{color}

... other packages here

\definecolor{White}{named}{White}
\definecolor{BurntOrange}{named}{BurntOrange}
\definecolor{Blue}{named}{Blue}

\begin{document}

\begin{titlingpage}
\pagecolor{BurntOrange}
\color{White}
\setlength{\unitlength}{1cm}
\begin{picture}(16,20)
\setlength{\fboxsep}{0.25cm}
\put(0,18){{\Huge {some text here}}}
\put(0,17.5){{\Huge\textbf{\ldots \ldots}}}
\put(0,16.5){{\large\textbf{some more text here}}}

%\put(0,10){\colorbox{Blue}{\Huge {more text}}}
%\put(0,9){\colorbox{Blue}{\huge {and yet more text}}}
% these two lines work, but not edge to edge for the blue background.

\put(0,10){\Huge {more text}}
\put(0,9){\huge {more text}}

\put(0,5){\Large{more text}}
\put(0,3){\large{and yet more text}}