[texhax] aligning array columns at bottom rather than top vertically

Steve Schwartz s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Sat Feb 26 16:35:30 CET 2005

Have you tried using \phantom (which typesets its argument and makes a
box to hold the result, but just puts the blank box in the output)?
There's also \vphantom to make a phantom vertical strut and \hphantom to
make the equivalent horizontal space., e.g.,

\phantom{premise} & premise \\ ---- & ------ \\ something & else

Wasn't that easy?

An alternative is \usepackage{array} which allows you to specify the
vertical as well as horizontal alignment in a tabular environment. You
could then use m alignment to middle align (vertically) the row
containing your rules.