[texhax] Nice Angle brackets

Johan Glimming glimming at kth.se
Mon Feb 21 20:16:41 CET 2005

I have (attached) macro for making hollow langle and rangle:

>         __
>        / /
>       /_/
>       \ \
>        \_\ (isn't it beautiful?)

But one problem remains: this symbol now takes too much space in
mathmode! It extends one char-height below every math symbol (try the
TeX below and see for yourself). I guess I need some sort of packaging
around the macro to make LaTeX treat it as one single symbol - how do I
do that??

Btw, can I wipe out the middle line by drawing some phantom colour
there?

---

\documentclass{minimal}
\usepackage{stmaryrd}
\usepackage{amsmath}

\makeatletter
\newcommand{\bblangle}{
   \mbox{\ensuremath{\fatslash{\mathinner{\mkern1mu\raise9.6\p@
     \kern-5.5\raise-9.6\hbox{\ensuremath{\fatbslash}}}}}}}
\newcommand{\bbrangle}{
   \mbox{\kern2\ensuremath{\fatbslash{\mathinner{\mkern1mu\raise9.6\p@
     \kern-10\raise-9.6\hbox{\ensuremath{\fatslash}}}}}}}

\makeatother

\begin{document}
$\bblangle 123 \bbrangle$
\end{document}