[texhax] Running heads that aren't properly justified

Elizabeth Dearborn webmaster at edearborn.net
Sat Feb 12 15:35:03 CET 2005

Use the fancyhdr package (I use a few others too), as follows:

\documentclass{book}
\def\enl{\filbreak\small\textbf}
\def\ene{\filbreak\textbf}
\def\enn{\normalsize}
\usepackage{fancyhdr}
\usepackage[papersize={6.14in,9.21in},margin={0.5in},top={1in},bottom={0.75in},headheight={23.101pt},centering,verbose=false]{geometry}
\usepackage[none]{hyphenat}
\usepackage{multicol}
\newcommand{\imark}[1]{#1\markboth{#1}{#1}}
\fontsize{10}{12.5}\selectfont

\begin{document}
\frontmatter
\mainmatter
% COPY THIS CODE WHEN CHANGING HEADERS
% \end{multicols}
% \eject
\pagestyle{fancy}\fancyhead{}
\fancyhead[LE,RO]{\textsf{\rightmark\\\leftmark}}
\fancyhead[C]{\textbf{Abbreviations}}
\fancyhead[RE,LO]{\small\textsl{Also see Studies, Chemotherapy\\Regimens, and Vocabulary}}
\renewcommand{\headrulewidth}{0.2pt}
\fancyfoot[LE,RO]{\textit{MeDiCaLeSe~2005}}
\fancyfoot[RE,LO]{\textsf{www.medicalese.org}}
\renewcommand{\footrulewidth}{0.2pt}
\raggedright
\begin{multicols}{2}
% END OF CODE TO COPY WHEN CHANGING HEADERS
\small \textbf{\imark{3D-SLS}}\enn: three-dimensional superficial liposculpture.\ene

... and so on.

You can see a page of output at http://www.edearborn.net/6book.pdf .  Hope this helps,

Elizabeth Dearborn
webmaster at edearborn.net
All outgoing mail is checked with Panda Titanium Antivirus 2004.