[texhax] Using pages from a PDF document as graphics

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Wed Feb 2 22:48:34 CET 2005

  > I have a PDF document with powerpoint slides. Some of the pages,
  > I'd like to use as figures in my LaTeX document. I have some
  > answers to some of my questions from the FAQ, but I still need
  > guidance.

  > 1. Which is the best source format for figures of this kind?

If you use pdflatex, PDF is the best choice because it can read PDF

The pdftex version you use should not be too old.

\includegraphics has some options for cropping.  See grfguide.{ps,pdf}.

If you need eps, you can use Acroread to crop a page.  I have version
5.08 for Linux, but I suppose that it works similar with the Windows

  1. Press the button "Graphics Select Tool" or type the letter "G".

  2. Select the region with the left mouse key.

  3. The menu "File->Print..." provides a form where you have to
     choose the option "Selected Graphic".  Then write to a file.

The BoundingBox is still wrong.  You have to repair it manually.  Use
Ghostscript to calculate the correct value:

  gs -q -sDEVICE=bbox -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH xxx.ps

Finally you have to correct the %%BoundingBox: line in the PostScript

Marschnerstr. 25