[texhax] Choosing between graphic include files

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Wed Dec 21 21:22:56 CET 2005

Joel Salomon :

> Hi all,
>
> I've been using a script to generate both eps and pdf versions of a
> PSTricks graphic.  Does a macro exist to include one or the other,
> depending on whether I'm using LaTeX or pdfLaTeX?
>
> (Sorry about the cross-posting; I'm not sure who can best answer this.)
>
> --Joel

standard knowlage, the graphicx package can actually determine whether
dvi or pdf output is used, so

simply using

\includegraphics{file}

instead of

\includegraphics{file.eps}

will have the following effect

i dvi-mode (aka latex) the file (if found) file.eps will be included,
in pdf-mode, pdflatex will look for file.pdf, file.jpg, file.png or
file.mps, and include the one that it finds first (I'm not quite sure in
which order it searches)

--

/daleif

``You cannot help men permanently by doing for them
what they could and should do for themselves. ''
  -- Abraham Lincoln