[texhax] multiline subscript

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 15:44:29 CEST 2005

On 8/27/05, Elaine Han <scallopie at gmail.com> wrote:
> hiya,
>
> I am facing some problems writing a multiline subscript. I would like to
> write something like this: (g_{ij})_{\substack{i<m\\j<n}}. I also tried
> using the \subarray command but my compiler returned an error.
>
> I suppose \substack or \subarray can only be used together with \sum or
> \int.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Regards,
> Elaine

Works for me (without any \sum, \prod - exactly as you wrote) in
{equation}, $ ...$ and
$$ ... $$ environments; my preamble

\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\pagestyle{headings}
\usepackage{amssymb}
\usepackage[leqno]{amsmath}
\usepackage{amsthm}

I assume that you use LaTeX (in amstex it is dome via \Sb \endSb)