[texhax] Typing Chinese with plain TeX

Edward G.J. Lee edt1023 at ms17.hinet.net
Fri Sep 3 01:46:34 CEST 2004

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> I'm trying to install ChiTeX, after downloading the files from
>
> ftp://ftp.math.ncu.edu.tw/chitex/unix/6.1.2p12lc/
>
> . It appears to be one of the most difficult installations ever happened me
> to do.

  Yes, it's not easy to install ChiTeX. And ChiTeX is for domestic
  people using, so it will present Chinese characters.

> http://cxterm.sourceforge.net

  This term is obsoleted in new Linux system. You can't compile it
  without modified the code. What Prof. Chen mean is you have to
  have a Chinese environment in your system to display Chinese
  messages.

  You can install rxvt-CJK/rxvt from your CD or rpm sites instead.
  And you will need Chinese font too.

> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lncurses

  You need libncurses5-devel package.

> Is anybody out there who can give me a hint?
> (Maybe Edward G.J. Lee?)
> I'd be very grateful.

  I install it on my Mandrake-10, but fail. Seems the ChiTeX
  package need modify the code to fit the new gcc/glibc. It
  will fail when compile the tools that need awka library.

  Could you tell us why you need Chinese Plain TeX? Maybe LaTeX
  CJK will be suitable for you? Or you just need some Chinese
  characters in your article only?

  If you don't know Chinese, how can you use the Chinese TeX
  system? I mean how you write your Chinese article?

  I will try to find out the problem of ChiTeX, but I'm not
  sure I can fix it.

Rgds,
Edward