[texhax] Typing Chinese with plain TeX

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Sep 2 22:46:53 CEST 2004

    /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lncurses

In addition to hunting down ncurses as suggested
(http://www.gnu.org/software/ncurses/ncurses.html), it might also "just work"
to link against -lcurses instead.  Maybe.

    P.S.: Is it necessary to know Chinese to do the installation of
    cxterm and ChiTeX?

Well, you might able to complete the installation, but I doubt you'll be
able to get much further.

    I don't understand how the symbols I mentioned above: ÒÑ²âµ½»òÄãÊäÈëµÄÄ¿Â¼:

You're probably seeing them in a Latin font.  They need to be displayed
in a Chinese font, and interpreted with Chinese conventions -- typically
UTF-8 or some sort of multibyte encoding (there are several)

    Maybe a special keyboard is needed?

Desirable, at least, I would think.  But I've never typed Chinese.

Hopefully there is some documentation with chitex, or hanging around on
the web, which explains some of these basic things about getting
started.

Good luck,
karl