[texhax] Tables in appendices

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Nov 30 11:31:14 CET 2004

> Dear Robin,
>
>   Thanks for that. Yes, you're right there shouldn't be a ~ between A
>   and \thetable.
>
>   I tried your suggestion of avoiding the fiddle with \makeatletter
>   and tried both
>
>   \renewcommand{\thetable}{\thechapter\thetable}
>
>   and
>
>   \renewcommand{\thetable}{\thesection\thetable}
>
>   but it wouldn't compile. The message referred to a "runaway
>   definition" and "capacity exceeded".
>
>   It is a section based document using the book class.

this is an evidence of distraction on my part, leading to stupidity.
(never type responses early in the morning when suffering an arthritis
flare.)

\renewcommand\thetable{\thechapter\arabic{table}}

or, if you don't mind going down one level and using internal commands

\renewcommand\thetable{\thechapter\@arabic\c at table}

(which is "expandable" -- useful in some circumstances.)

robin