[texhax] figures and text aligned

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sun Mar 14 20:54:42 CET 2004

herbert gintis writes, of a response to one of his own postings:

> At 07:04 PM 3/14/2004 +0100, Philip G. Ratcliffe wrote:
> >Obviously, you didn't look at the FAQ indicated at the foot of all postings.
> >
> >Otherwise, you would have found Q. 207 "Flowing text around figures in
> >LATEX."
>
>          I know from experience with this list that we are supposed to
> be embarrassed when we ask a question which has an answer in the
> FAQ. I also know from experience that using the FAQ is extremely
> difficult, or else I don't know how to use it. Even after seeing your
> response Philip, it took me about ten minutes to find the correct
> location of Q. 207. I used "flowing text" and then read through many
> entry titles in the reply.

um ... i responded to your post, before i got philip's response, with
the actual url.  (easy for me to find, since i remember what the label
is, so subject to typos, i get there in one.  i did mistype, so i got
there in two.)

>          The fact is, the FAQ doesn't work right, because it is not
> organized properly. I don't mean this as a criticism, but rather as a
> comment. I also don't know for sure what to do about it.
>          I suspect that hooking up to a really powerful local search
> engine, like google, would do the trick. I can usually find anything
> with google.

there's a google-search link on the faq main page.  takes you to a
faq-restricted google search: did that not help?

>          Indeed, typing "wrap text around figure latex" in the google
> command line gave me a wealth of clues, including some latex
> packages. I'm sure that using the FAQ and typing in the name of one of
> the packages with the FAQ search engine will do the trick.

i'm not an expert on search engines.  my self-teaching progress is
proving painfully slow.  i've remarked about this on c.t.t, and asked
for help.  no help has been forthcoming (there was one offer, but it's
come to nothing).

so the searching isn't going to improve.  in a long time.  (while i
educate myself.)