[texhax] figures and text aligned

Herbert Gintis hgintis at comcast.net
Sun Mar 14 19:41:06 CET 2004

At 07:04 PM 3/14/2004 +0100, Philip G. Ratcliffe wrote:
> > I am trying to place a \figure side by side with some text. That
> > is, I want the
> > figure to take up only part of the width of the page and then
> > have text placed
> > on the rest of the width. It appears that I am not doing my
> > search very well, as I don't find anything useful.
>
>Obviously, you didn't look at the FAQ indicated at the foot of all postings.
>
>Otherwise, you would have found Q. 207 "Flowing text around figures in
>LATEX."
>
>Cordialmente,  Philip G. Ratcliffe
         I know from experience with this list that we are supposed to be
embarrassed when we ask a question which has an answer in the FAQ. I also
know from experience that using the FAQ is extremely difficult, or else I
don't know how to use it. Even after seeing your response Philip, it took
me about ten minutes to find the correct location of Q. 207. I used
"flowing text" and then read through many entry titles in the reply.
         The fact is, the FAQ doesn't work right, because it is not
organized properly. I don't mean this as a criticism, but rather as a
comment. I also don't know for sure what to do about it.
         I suspect that hooking up to a really powerful local search
engine, like google, would do the trick. I can usually find anything with
google.
         Indeed, typing "wrap text around figure latex" in the google
command line gave me a wealth of clues, including some latex packages. I'm
sure that using the FAQ and typing in the name of one of the packages with
the FAQ search engine will do the trick.

HG

Herbert Gintis
External Faculty, Santa Fe Institute
Adjunct Professor, Barnard College, Columbia
University
Emeritus Professor, University of Massachusetts
15 Forbes Avenue, Northampton, MA 01060
413-586-7756  (Home Office) 206-984-9873 (Fax)
Recent papers are posted on my <http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~gintis>web site.
Get Game Theory Evolving (Princeton, 2000) at
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0691009430/qid=1057311870/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-8882889-4632849?v=glance&s=books>Amazon.com
Look for Moral Sentiments and Material Interests,
    forthcoming from MIT Press (2004)
        There is no sorrow so great that does not find
       its background in joy.
                                                             Niels Bohr (1938)