[texhax] postscript printing

W.J. Metzger Wesley.Metzger at cern.ch
Thu Jun 24 12:17:59 CEST 2004

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Sebastian Luque wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> Sometime after sending my previous message it occurred to me to create a
> postscript file from the '.tex' file containing the postscript images I can't
> see in dvi format. Surprisingly, everything shows ok in the '.ps' produced
> file. Can anybody explain why some '.ps' or '.eps' images show ok on a dvi
> document and not others?, also why would postscript images not showing on dvi
> do show on postscript files? I'm baffled!
>
> Sebastian

So, initially you were not running dvips, but looking at the dvi file
"directly" using something like xdvi.  And you saw a blank page instead
of the OO produced table.
Now, you run dvips and look at the resulting ps file with something like
ghostscript.  And the table is there.

The obvious explanation is that xdvi (or whatever you are using) does not
interpret postscript as well as it should.
I just tried this and in xdvi I do see the OO produced table, but only very
briefly. So I guess the OO produced ps clears the page at the end (not
unreasonable if you are printing).  dvips seems smart enough to suppress
this.

Cheers, Wes

--
Dr. W. J. Metzger            Experimental High Energy Physics Group
tel. +31-24-3653127          Faculty of Natural Sciences
e-mail:  wes at hef.kun.nl      or   Wesley.Metzger at cern.ch
http://home.cern.ch/metzger/ or   http://www.hef.kun.nl/~wes
  (**)  After 1 Sept. 2004,  Radboud University Nijmegen
    (Clearly superior to the Wichita Academy of Learning Kansas)