[texhax] Debian testing & tetex-bin

Pavel Minev Penev pavpen at berkeley.edu
Thu Jun 24 02:20:50 CEST 2004

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 03:56:43PM +0100, Vittorio wrote:
> I understand your point but unfortunately resorting to texlive under debian
> means to create some other problems with dependencies of other packages like
> Lyx, R, etc.

Not necessarily.  I just downloaded the iso image, mounted it under
</mnt/texlive/> and prepended "/mnt/texlive/bin/i386-linux" to the PATH
environment variable of the normal users (you don't want it for root,
since the `texinfo` for TeXlive seems not to be exactly compatible in
its options with the Debian one, so installing packages may lead to
strange errors).  Note that this will also make you use TeXlive's `info`
(which does not want to start in an xterm for not too good a reason).
To use your native `info` you may either play with your shell's `hash`
built-in, or maybe create a binaries directory somewhere, symlink only
what you like from </mnt/texlive/bin/i386-linux/> in it, and it to
users' PATH.

A sample from my </etc/profile>:

[-- Start </etc/profile> from line 18 to line 25: ---------------------]
# Overload executables for non-root users:
if [ "`id -u`" -ne 0 ]; then
	#TEXDIR="/usr/TeX"
	#TEXMFLOCAL="/usr/TeX/texmf-local"
	VARTEXMF="/usr/TeX/texmf-var"
	export TEXDIR TEXMFLOCAL VARTEXMF
	PATH="/mnt/texlive/bin/i386-linux:$PATH"
fi
[-- End </etc/profile> from line 18 to line 25. -----------------------]

Fun,
--
Pav

http://www.againsttcpa.com/  ,.,    My type: Dvorak.
http://swpat.ffii.org/     ,``:'',
                           {o ! o}
Gain your human right of   ] -+- [  My GPG/PGP key is now available at
privacy: use cryptography!  \ ! /   x-hkp://search.keyserver.net:11371.
                             `-'
`shell$ gpg --keyserver x-hkp://search.keyserver.net:11371 --recv-key 164C028F`